Pend Oreille Conservation District (POCD) is one of 45 districts within the state of Washington that covers all of Pend Oreille County with the exception of Incorporated Cities and Towns, excluding Ione. POCD is a legal subdivision of state government that administers grant funded programs for the productive use and conservation of natural resources. Within its boundaries, POCD provides both landowners/managers and agencies with technical assistance to increase land productivity, enhance water quality and improve other features of our natural resources. POCD is a non-regulatory entity who works as a liaison between agencies and landowners, and only works with willing/volunteer landowners. NEVER, will POCD report a problem or violation to a regulatory agency; instead we work with landowners to help them come into, or stay in, compliance with existing or new environmental laws.
Organized in early 1949,, the Pend Oreille Conservation District includes all lands within Pend Oreille County, except incorporated towns, It is locate din Northeast Washington, bordered on the North by Canada and on the East by Idaho. It is park of the Selkirk Mountains which are essentially the foothills of the great Rocky Mountains. The original purpose of the District was aimed primarily at the proper use of soil and water resources to prevent and control soil erosion. Since the inception of POCD in 1949 studies have shown that the land use is definitely changing. The demand of water for various purposes is accelerating and the traditional family type farms are giving way to part time or hobby farmers and rural landowners. The POCD aims to expand its activities so as to assist all landowners in the wise use of all natural resources, such as land, water, timber, wildlife and recreation.
A considerable amount of time after settlers first came to this country putting a great deal of stress on its natural resources, only a few leaders at that time recognized the destructiveness of soil erosion and attempted to do something about it. In 1933, during the Great Depression the Soil Erosion Service was set up on a temporary basis. This laid the groundwork for the creation of the Soil Conservation Service through an act passed by Congress in 193. The new agency was tasked with the responsibility of developing and carrying out a long-range program to protect and improve the nation’s lands from soil erosion and flood damage. It was the first known program of its kind in the history of the world. Within a few weeks of passing this act, Henry A. Wallace, the Secretary of Agriculture approved a committee recommendation that proposed conservation work be carried out in cooperation with local agencies in the states as soon as the agencies could be established. In 1939 the Washington State legislature passed into existence the Soil Conservation District Law. On January 30, 1940, the North Palouse Conservation District in Whitman County was the first organized District in the State of Washington. The Pend Oreille Conservation District was organized and voted into being by a referendum of the people of Pend Oreille County on January 8, 1949. The first supervisors of the new district were: V.P. Campbell, Chairman; Charles W. Hoisington, Vice Chair; Harold Richards, Secretary-Treasurer; Paul Meier, Member; and Al Weinstein, Member.